Urban Livelihoods Class 6 Extra Questions Social Science Civics Chapter 9
NCERT Extra Questions for Class 6 Social Science Civics Chapter 9 urban livelihoods
Urban Livelihoods Class 6 Extra Questions Very Short Answer Type Questions
Urban Livelihood Class 6 Extra Questions And Answers Question 1.
How many percentage of people work on the streets of Ahmedabad? What works are they engaged in?
According to a survey 12% of all the workers in the city of Ahmedabad work on the streets.
- They sell things.
- They repair things.
- They provide services.
Urban Livelihood Class 6 Worksheet Question 2.
Describe the scene of the factory area.
- The area was full of small workshops.
- Their rows were endless.
- People worked on sewing machines in a small room and were stitching clothes and stocked them in one comer.
Urban Livelihoods Class 6 Extra Questions Short Answer Type Questions
Class 6 Civics Chapter 9 Extra Questions Question 1.
Who were working on street? What activities were in action on the street/ roads?
- A vegetable vendor.
- Stall of flowers and garments.
- Newspaper vendor.
- Cobbler under a tree.
- Roadside barber.
- Cart pusher with all kinds of plastic bottles, boxes, hairpins, clips, etc.
- Cycle trolly, carrying vegetables.
- Plying of buses.
- Plying of autorickshaw with school children.
- Rickshaw stand with severed rickshaws to take people to the nearby markets.
Ncert Class 6 Civics Chapter 9 Extra Questions Question 2.
How do these people organise their work?
These people organise their work in the following manner:
- They are not employed. Hence they have to organise their own work in the following manner:
- They plan how much to purchase, where and how to set up their shops.
- Their shops are temporary structures:
- Sometimes some boards
- Papers spread over discarded boxes
- Canvas sheets hung on four poles
- Their own casts
- Plastic sheets spread on the pavements.
- These people have no security.
- Police can dismantle their shops in a while.
- Vendors sell their goods (food items), already prepared at home like snacks, foods, chholas, etc.
Urban Livelihood Class 6 Mcq Question 3.
What is being done now for the hawkers/street vendors?
The work of hawkers/street vendors has been recognised as important for the low income purchasers.
- Previously hawkers were not allowed to sell their articles on the streets.
- Now hawking zones have been suggested for the hawkers to move freely.
- They have been made members of the committees which think about their welfare.
Urban Livelihood Extra Questions Question 4.
Describe the scene at the market place.
- The market was about to open.
- People had already collected to buy things because it was a festival season.
- There were rows and rows of shops:
- They sold sweets, toys, clothes, footwear, utensils, electronic goods etc.
- A dentist’s clinic was also there at one end of the market.
Class 6 Civics Chapter 9 Extra Questions And Answers Question 5.
Describe the new garments showroom.
From the dentist clinic, the author and his cousin went to new garments showroom, because the author wanted to buy some clothes.
- The showroom had three floors.
- Each floor had different kinds/types of clothes.
- The third floor had clothes for girls.
Urban Livelihoods Class 6 Extra Questions Question 6.
Describe the scene in the buses which go to factory areas.
Scene in the buses:
- The buses were crowded.
- At every bus stop more and more people boarded the bus and the crowd went on increasing in the bus.
- The writer and her cousin stood in a comer so that they could not be squashed.
- They felt surprise how people travelled daily in such a crowded state.
Describe the working conditions of the workers in factories.
Working conditions for the workers in factories:
- They have to work for 12 hours a day.
- They have to work in day and night shifts on the machines. One worker for first 12 hours, another for next 12 hours on the same machine.
- If they protest in respect of working condition or wages, they are dismissed from the job.
- They are not well-treated.
Urban Livelihoods Class 6 Extra Questions Long Answer Type Questions
What happened at the dentist’s clinic?
- The cousin of the author alongwith him went to the dentist for check up of her teeth.
- They waited for their turn.
- When the turn came the dentist checked up her teeth. One tooth had a cavity.
- The dentist asked them to come next day as the cavity had to be filled.
- The cousin felt sorry that she allowed her teeth to be decayed because of her carelessness. How it would be painful to get the cavity filled !
Why labourers gather at the labour chowk? What do you do as labourers?
The labourers gather at the labour chowk for finding jobs on daily wage basis.
These labourers do the following works:
- They act as helpers to masons.
- They dig at construction sites.
- They lift loads.
- They unload trucks in the market.
- They dig pipelines and telephone cables.
- They also build roads.
- These labourers are called casual workers.
Where does Nirmala work and what does she do there? What are her working conditions?
- Nirmala works in a garment factory.
- The factory stitches summer clothes to be sent to USA, UK, Germany and Netherlands.
Working conditions for Nirmala:
- She works as tailor on a sewing machine.
- She works for long hours (nearly 12 hours) from December to April. Her working time begins at 9 a.m. and finishes at 10 p.m., sometimes even late.
- She works six days a week.
- Her wages are Rs. 80A per day for eight hours and Rs. 40/- extra for working late.
- Her job is not permanent. During lean period (from June to November) she remains out of job and has to work elsewhere.
Give an account of Sudha’s duties.
Sudha works in a company of the Government as marketing manager. Her office is surrounded by tall buildings.
- She is marketing manager in the company manufacturing biscuits.
- She supervises 50 sales persons. They get orders and payments from shopkeepers.
- She has divided the city into six zones/regions.
- She works for six days.
- She meets each salesperson once a week.
- She checks their progress and discusses and sorts out their problems.
- She pirns sales for the whole city. She often travels and works late in the evenings.
Urban Livelihoods Class 6 Extra Questions Multiple Choice Questions
Choose the correct option:
Who is Bachchu Manjhi?
How much does Bachchu Manjhi earn per day?
(a) Rupees 50
(b) Rupees 100
(c) Rupees 150
(d) Rupees 200
The life of people in urban areas is than that of the rural area.
(c) both (a) and (b)
(d) none of these
According to the survey in Ahmedabad city, how many workers work in the street?
If we feel a problem in our teeth, where should we go?
(a) To a physician
(b) To an orthopaedic
(c) To a veterinary clinic
(d) To a dentist
To a dentist
Where are readymade clothes sold?
(a) At garments’ shop
(b) At shoes’ shop
(c) At chemist’s shop
(d) At none of these
At garments’ shop
What does Vandana do?
(a) Sales woman
(b) Dress designer
Which of the following places are nearby Delhi?
(a) Mumbai and Goa
(b) Kullu and Manali
(c) Noida and Gurgaon
(d) Panipat and Kurukshetra
Noida and Gurgaon
Most of businessmen are
(a ) self employed
(6) employed by others
(c) both (a) and (b)
(d) none of these
The shopkeepers are given a licence by
(a) State Government
(b) Municipal corporation
(c) Central Government
Where do labourers on daily wages wait with their tools?
(a) Labour Chowk
(b) Ramlila ground
(c) Cinema Halls
(d) None of these
Where does Sudha work?
(a) In a company
(b) As sales person in a shop
(c) In a cinema hall
(d) All of these
In a company
How much salary does she get?
(a) Rs. 5,000/- PM
(b) Rs. 10,000/- PM
(c) Rs. 15,000/- PM
(d) Rs. 30,000/- PM
Rs. 30,000/- PM
What benefits does Sudha get along with her salary?
(a) Savings for old age
(b) Gets off on Sundays and national holidays
(c) Medical facilities
(d) All of these
All of these